|from Jane Anderson's learning site
A raw diet provides a range of benefits that commercial dog diets can never hope to even closely match.
1. no doggy odor
2. naturally cleans teeth - no need for toothbrushes, de-scaling jobs, or gum disease
3. the time it takes for a dog to chew a raw meaty bone gives their stomach adequate time to get the acids moving
4. less stools produced - and they are firm
5. decreased or non-existent vet bills (your dogs are healthier!)
6. mirrors what a dog would be getting in the wild - and certainly even the modern day dog has digestive tract exactly the same as a wolf
7. puppies develop at a more appropriate rate - quick growth spurts are avoided. A GOOD breeder will want to stop fast growth in any pup.
8. the ripping and chewing involved in eating raw meaty bones develops the jaw, neck, and shoulder muscles of the dog. Commercial dog foods will never assist in this important muscle development.
THINK and STUDY for yourself
Following the crowd is easy!
Following your heart takes courage!
|What have people reported?
People who have switched their dogs to a raw diet from commercial dog foods have found the following:
* dogs who were low energy and sluggish become completely new dogs once the raw feeding begins
* allergies disappear once they start with the raw diet
* arthritis has significantly reduced or disappeared in some dogs switched to raw
* better weight control
* no more doggy odor!
* dogs are living longer on a raw diet than what their other dogs previously had survived on commercial dog foods
* bitches managed their pregnancies better with higher birth weights in puppies
Why is commercial dog food not good for my dog?
There are a range of problems with commercial dog foods.
* a dog's food should never be cooked. It should be fed in a raw state like nature intended. Cooking a dog's food ruins most of the nutritional value.
* dogs should have access to raw meaty bones. These clean their teeth, work and develop their neck and jaw muscles. The chewing action prepares their stomach for the incoming food mass. Chewing bones slows down the eating process considerably, making it more difficult for a dog to over-eat.
* the main ingredient in dog food are different cereals - the main ingredient your dog should be eating is raw meaty bones. It is these very cereals that cause a range of problems such as allergies.
* commercial dog foods are laden with preservatives, colors (dyes), and salt.
* the vast majority of commercial dog foods have far too many carbohydrates in them. High levels of carbohydrates are linked to over-eating, diabetes, weight gain, and numerous other problems. Dogs should eat a low carb diet.
* and, most disappointing of all, your vet is most probably recommending a commercial diet because of financial inducements and a lack of independent learning.